Sunday, May 8, 2011

simple curtains

Its all about choosing fun fabrics, but simple curtains for the kitchen can be super easy but have high impact. I made these fun polka-dot curtains for my new kitchen, recently painted a fun shade of robin's egg blue. I call it my "modern twist on retro 50s" look. Or something to that effect. Anyway, I love how my simple curtains turned out and really put the finishing touch on the new kitchen.

I simply measured the size of the windows and cut my fabric so the panel would be flat. I hemmed the size first with a double fold (no raw edges to see, even on the back), hemmed the top with big enough fold to fit the tension rod through, and gave the bottom about a 3" hem. So easy. After I hung them, I took 1/4" grosgrain ribbon and just looped it over the top, cut it the length of the curtain, then tied it up to where I liked it. Voila!

I did the two small windows first because I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with the bigger window. The suggestion was made to do the same kind of curtain, only wider, and I'm really glad I did. It looks great! Although, I ran out of ribbon and had to substitute another for one of the ties on the big window ... I'll change it out the next time I get a chance to buy some more.

Curtains are such an easy way to spice up a room, and they don't have to be fancy to make a big impact!



No comments:

Post a Comment